A19 in Flood
Questions for CYC
Finding Fulford report
Maps of battle of Fulford 1066
York City Planning documents online
The Final Report
Kindle edition of Finding Fulford is now available
The Fulford Tapestry
This is the list of questions for York Planners
- When English Heritage wrote in 2003
that Germany Beck was the probable site of the battle, why did you ignore
- When English Heritage said your work
was ‘inadequately specified’ in 2004, why didn’t you address the problem?
- Why do you repeat the fallacy that
‘the absence of proof is proof of absence’ when you know you have done no work
to look for the battlefield?
- Why have you blocked access to the
recycling hearth areas?
- Why have you never inspected the
hearth material or taken it into account in the protracted process since you
have known about them since 2004?
- Why did you move the ‘red line’ for
the planning zone to include the first of the recycling hearths just after we
told you what we had found there? I note that you are not putting any
buildings or earth works there but designating it a wood means no archaeology
can be required.
- Why did you not conduct a full metal
detecting survey of the site since your own analysis had identified the
likelihood that the battle took place on the site? It is the most obvious
piece of work if you are looking for evidence of iron-clad warriors fighting
with iron weapons. Were you afraid of what you might find? How can you justify
this failure to investigate?
- When you were told to address all of
the evidence in the battlefield report, Finding Fulford’ why did you
fail to do so?
- Why did you originally claim you had
dated the peat that fills much of the Germany Beck ditch? When you were forced
to do the work, why have you ignored the Carbon-14 evidence that proves the
beck was in its current location well before 1066?
- Why do you claim that the land has
been significantly altered since your own research shows that it is almost
unchanged since 1066?
- Why have you failed to respect
agreements entered between the City planners and Chas Jones in respect of
three different projects where you were supposed to cooperate?
- Why have you tried to pass off one of
the drainage ditches that connect to Germany Beck as representing the beck
itself? You know Germany Beck was carved during the last ice age.
- Why did you submit a list of
alternative sites for the battle that were nowhere near Fulford as a part of
the site designation consultation? You worked with English Heritage to concoct
‘evidence’ to support your ‘story’ in the revised Heritage landscape Appraisal
of 2005. So was this another cooperative effort with them because your
suggestions were all complete rubbish even though English Heritage cite them
as a reason for their uncertainty? How can you justify this behaviour as a
- Why has your work adjacent to the A19
along the line of the access road failed to report the stone surface that
lines the ford?
- Why was the site archaeologist
prevented from answering my questions about the surface of the ford when you
were forced to give me a tour of your site in 2003?
- Why does your report on the work
adjacent to the A19 make the contradictory claims that the land was
surprisingly firm and also that it was too soft to dig? My own trench was just
.9m deep and reached the stone surface of the ford.
- Why have you ignored every since error and suggestion I
made when responding to the WSI?
- Why was I able to see that you planned to approve the
WSI while the consultation was still going on?
- Why have you failed to enforce any quality control which
has allowed Persimmon to breach the agreed methodolgy?
- Can you suggest another location for
the battle of Fulford which fits the facts?